Friday, October 16, 2020

Girls Weekend 23. Tuesday, October 13, 2020. Charleston, West Virginia

Upon arising today, we performed our usual morning tasks of having some coffee, Kathi working on homework on the computer (taking breaks for washing dishes and taking out the trash) and I working on this journal and checking on my email and how my photo entries are doing in Photocrowd.  I haven't talked about Photocrowd here before but Kathi thinks that I should mention it here.  Photocrowd is a website that I joined in February of this year that I have become addicted to.  Photocrowd is an on-line photo community where one can "be inspired, get your work seen, and win prizes in our daily photo competitions." Photographers from around the world are part of this community and it allows me to see the work of many talented photographers while enjoying the beautiful places and things that they photograph.  What I REALLY like about it is that every day new contests are added with specific topics.  Some examples of topics:  goats, bridges, urban trees, autumn colors in nature to name a few.  Now that Tom and I are empty-nesters I found myself wanting to get out and take photos but often was unsure of what I wanted to take photos of.  With new topics introduced every day, I will scour photos I have taken in the past to look for something suitable to enter AND/OR find myself wanting to go out and take NEW photos for categories which I really like or don't have photos of.  There are usually around 40-50 different competitions once can enter every day.  The free membership allows one to enter one photo per competition and a max of 4 photos total spread over 4 competitions.  If one is willing to pay a moderate amount of money, one can enter up to 4 photos per competition and enter as many competitions as one wants.  I quickly found that I wanted to be able to enter more that 1 photo per competition and more than 4 photos at a time and paid the money to allow me to enter more photos.   One morning, while checking the status of my entries and checking out the new topics introduced that day, Tom asked me what I was doing.  I told him and he got very excited about the whole thing and soon we were spending most evenings this summer after dinner, out on photo shoots.  We both really enjoy it and it gets us outside.  I guess we are going to have to learn how to do still lifes once the days are shorter and we don't have any daylight left once we are done with work!

Lori on the steps of the West Virginia State Museum

Back to Girls Weekend: once we determined that we were finished with our morning routines, we showered, got dressed and went to the West Virginia State Museum which is located in the Capitol Complex in downtown Charleston.  Kathi and I often find ourselves in museums on Girls Weekend because we are always interested in learning new things, learning things about the place where we find ourselves.  The museum is free to the public, is well done and we learned many things about West Virginia.  For instance, did you know that Fiesta Ware is made in West Virginia? or that one of the last companies to make marbles in the USA is here? And, of course, coal is still mined here in West Virginia.

Once we were done with the museum, Kathi mentioned that she would like to get some photos of the beautiful Kanawha river that runs through Charleston.  I had noticed Daniel Boone Park along the road on our way to the salt-works so suggested that we should check that out.  It was a beautiful, sunshiny day and it was peaceful and relaxing to look out over the river and watch ducks and small boats go by.

(Kathi's edits/additions in blue italics) I don’t know that we have talked much yet about the Airbnb in which we are staying, but it is SUPERB. It is a large house in a great location, with three bedrooms and two full baths, parking in the back, really good security, very comfortable beds, just the right amount of decoration, perfect little touches here and there [like a cache of rolled up soft blankies in the living room] and by far the best-equipped kitchen in any rented establishment in which I have ever stayed. I always try to give my Airbnb hosts something to improve upon if I can, just to be helpful for those who want to really attend to every detail. This time my suggestions will be absolutely ridiculous things like, “we would have liked the hand soap to lather up more” and “we really wanted a dish cloth as well as the new sponges you provided us.” If you ever go to Charleston, stay in the “South Hills Charmer” or the owners’ other house, whatever it’s called.

After spending some quiet time here, we stopped at a Piggly Wiggly (Wait. The franchise owner’s name was Bigley. Therefore, we went to Bigley Piggly Wiggly!) to pick up a few grocery items we needed, then went back to the house. Kathi made us a yummy salad of heirloom tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, avocado, red bell peppers, salt, pepper, olive oil, and white balsamic vinegar, then went to her computer to do homework (this sentence should be permanently saved to the clipboard) and I, of course, worked on the journal (and this sentence, too, should be permanently saved to the clipboard!). We were going to have some chicken, but ended up not really having a formal dinner this evening. We just kind of foraged through what we had and ate a little bit of this and a little bit of that. I had crackers and hummus, Kathi ate some of the leftover veggies that she had roasted the previous evening. After a while I could no longer sit in the chair at the dining room table where I had my computer (not comfortable!) and I laid down on the couch to listen to my current audiobook, Agnes at the End of the World, by Kelly McWilliams. Once Kathi determined that she could no longer sit at the table in front of her computer (I totally hit a wall. Forked and done), she came out to the living room and we watched two episodes of "Silent Witness before turning in. Hey Lor, have we already told them that we both really like British detective shows? This one is actually about a medical examiner, but she is of course also an amateur detective.


Oh!!  I almost forgot, I did the final tossing of the states before we left to go to the State Museum and it looks like we will be going to Nevada next year!!  We're thinking Lake Tahoe.

No comments:

Post a Comment