Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Girls' Weekend 2018, Providence, Rhode Island, Day 4

Riding the rails and cliff walking.  These are the items on our agenda today.  When I was researching Providence, Rhode Island on Pinterest during the past year an interesting picture popped up showing two people on some sort of vehicle on railroad tracks that was powered by those on it pedaling.  Interested, I clicked on it and made my way to https://www.railexplorers.net.  This looked like something that Kathi and I would definitely enjoy doing so I booked us for a ride.  What a treat!!  We went for a 2 mile ride and we loved it.  Once we got moving it wasn't really all that much work to keep moving.  I was fearful that pedaling for an hour straight would leave me with wobbly legs at the end due to tired muscles.  Not at all!  I have since found out that there is a similar company in Oregon that provides rides on a rail/trail near the coast.  I am definitely going to book a trip for Tom and I come spring.

Once done with this adventure, we drove into Newport to hike on the Cliff Walk.  This is a world famous public right of way that lies between the Rhode Island shoreline and some magnificent mansions built on the bluff that have truly marvelous views of the ocean.  It is a National Recreation Trail in a National Historic District.  There are several mansions whose enormous lawns back up to the trail.  Unfortunately there are many that you cannot see from the trail due to fences and trees and bushes, but you can see enough of them to know that these are not your normal homes.  These are GIGANTIC buildings that lots of money was poured into.  Several of the mansions are now part of Salve Regina University, a private Catholic university offering many undergraduate and graduate programs, that I had never heard of until this trip.

It was a great day for both of these activities, although a bit humid and, by far, the warmest day since we have been here (I think it got up to the mid 70's).  We were both feeling pretty wiped out by the time we arrived back at the car.  After making a quick stop at the liquor store for some wine and pork rinds (eeeewwwww!!!) for Kathi, we tucked into the apartment for an evening of Goliath on Amazon Prime.  Our dinner consisted of cheese,crackers, salami and yogurt and fruit.  It was quite delicious.

I think the massages that we have scheduled for tomorrow are going to be well-timed after the 4 or so miles we put on our bodies today.

Oh, and here are the states that we are down to for next year!  I am keeping my fingers crossed for Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment